Friday, November 13, 2009

And it happened right here...

Today I was driving to pick up Carli from school. As I was heading down Bangerter Highway, there was a police officer parked at the side of the road. Not soooo, weird. But his location was a little odd. He was actually sitting on one of the corners, not in the middle waiting for the next jerk to speed by or run the light. I kept going, approaching the next intersection I saw several officer's parked in the road, lights flashing and were directing traffic. That always makes me anxious, hello....out of your car?...on Bangerter?....NUTSO!!! And the traffic lights WEREN'T out. 'What the crap?' one would think. Just then, I see motorcycle cops coming the opposite way...lots of them. Then I think, 'holy crap, what's happened?', then more motorcycles, then more and then a few more. Then followed by a long black car. And as I am on the phone with my Bestest Friend Ever, Paula, I said out loud "Holy Shit...it's Aaron, they are bringing his body back". A couple more long cars, more motorcycles, followed by more cars, some of them with flags in the window with POW, MIA on them. It was an amazing site. I think that if you'd seen it you would believe how amazing it was. Now, I'm not 100% sure that it was Aaron's family, but that is the only thing I could think that would cause such a raucous.

You see, it's an odd thing for me. Having been to many funerals, from West Virginia to Utah. The differences are amazing. In West Virginia, when a funeral procession goes down the road, people pull aside, stop at green lights to let the line of mourners through on red lights with no officers involved. That just doesn't happen here in Utah. We are too busy to be so polite or whatever. But it just doesn't happen. Because of this, I was totally caught off guard by what I saw today.

You have to know, I don't know Aaron Nemelka. He's my second cousin once removed (Yes I had to Wiki it). I knew his dad, a loooong time ago. When I was Carli's age probably. I went to school with his younger sister (Aaron's Aunt), but that was in Kindergarten and we went to their house after school. Their parents, Mike Sr. and Gloria, are my Great Aunt and Uncle. And great they are. What I do know, is PVC Aaron Nemelka was killed last week at Fort Hood with many other soldiers.

My dad and I will be going to his funeral tomorrow. Me, to pay respect to my Aunt and Uncle. My dad...cause he used to be in the Army. And when he can, and he has the unfortunate opportunity to do so, he attends the funerals of Army persons to show his support. He's cool like that. One of the best.

I was lucky today, to see the sight while driving today. And I've been lucky every day of my life for what I have. I'm thankful for all of those that have sacrificed in the past for what we have and continue to enjoy. Thanks to all the service people in the past, present and future. And, I hope that more of them can come home, to their families, where they belong with the health they left with.

8 comments:

Anjie said...

I have no words, just tears. That certainly is an amazing thing to see, you are lucky you were in the right place at the right time.

Brooke Shreeve said...

Way cool Janice. I'm going to be down tomorrow, for Jayme's baby shower. Hopefully we will get to see you guys.

Brooke Shreeve said...

Oh, I love your family pictures also. How would you feel about taking ours?

Grandma F. said...

How amazing that you, as his second cousin, once removed got to see this amazing act of heroism for our country and the unfortunate events.

Annalyn said...

Way cool, Jan! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Theresa said...

That is awesome Janice!

Bryan and Veronica Grgich said...

Great story Janice... I got chills just reading about it, I cannot imagine how cool it would be to see.

Justin and Tammy said...

Janice- My daughter attends WJMS & Mr. Nemelka is one of her teachers. She really likes him and was so sad when he explained that his grandson had been shot in Fort Hood. What a small world. Love you Sweet Janice.