Sunday, February 24, 2008

What an adventure!

As we woke up this morning, we knew it would be a bit busy. Cobby was leaving for Vernal - yet again. And I was going to spend some time with a colleague friend of mine who is in town for the week. I took Carli over to Paula's as I was certain she would have more fun there than with JJ and I. I knew that was a good decision for the day, but had NO IDEA HOW GOOD IT WAS. Not kidding here.

So JJ and I dropped Carli off. We were going to do some shopping and also decided to take a drive. JJ suggested a ski resort. He isn't a skier anymore, but we both thought the views would be great. But, I'm not a skier. Sure, get me to some signs and I might be able to follow them. I do however, know how to get to Park City. The forecast today called for snow, but the sky was blue with some clouds, nothing I hadn't seen before. So off we go. We had a fun time, and he was very kind and patient with my last minute turn requests. We stopped at the outlet stores because he mentioned a store that he wanted to visit and it just turns out, there was one there. Then off to Historic Park City for lunch. After lunch (2:30) we were on our way back to Salt Lake. It had been snowing lightly since we got to Park City, but whatever - it was nothing. We get to a bit of traffic, then it stops. The traffic I mean...just stops. I call Paula to see if she had heard anything and she pulls up the lovely traffic cameras. She said that it looks snowy and that is it. But then at the camera at MP 140, there are no more cars. Which leads us to believe we need to get to MP 140 and then should be in the clear. Much easier thought/said than done. JJ adjusts the navigating system in the car and we are 1.1 miles from exit 140. Great, that shouldn't be long. Enter Jan's big fat mouth, "huh, I wonder if the canyon is closed". When JJ asks what that means, well of course it means that the canyon is closed. That's all it means, right? I have no idea, I've never been in a closed canyon before. Do we just sit and idle or do they figure out how to turn all the cars around and point them back to Park City (we do have a HI there), shit, idunno. Low and behold we made it to the exit ONE AND A HALF HOURS LATER!!! That's right, 1 mile in an hour and a half. Another bad decision: Not to use the restroom at the restaurant. Let's say it together -Efin Semis!!! The super good news is this, after we get past the situation (please refer to Efin Semis comment - making up their own lanes, cutting people off and blocking the EFFING freeway in multiple lanes!) we were able to make it to the summit and then cruise on down at what seemed like the light speed of 40 MPH. On our way down, there were a couple of tow trucks that passed us (right, they were going up the wrong side of the freeway!). We noticed there were no vehicles behind us. Which is good for at least two reasons. 1)No one is going to slide into us when they are driving like wackos down slippery I80, and most importantly 2) IF they closed the road - it was only seconds after we got through.

Turns out #2 was the right option. I get a call from JJ, he made it safely back to the hotel and he was told the freeway was closed. I looked it up online and it was just opened - Can you imagine?

This is yet another reason why Paula is one of my hero's. I swear I dropped that kid off at 10:00, just for a few hours. And a full shift later, here I come. You just can't thank friends like that enough.

And cheers to JJ. He spoke with someone at home and when asked how far Park City is from Salt Lake he said about 45 minutes, which is true. Had he only known that Salt Lake was 2.5 hours from Park City, he probaby would have chosen different company - HA! What an adventure, it was a first for both of us. I told him by the time he went home, he would be sick of the snow. I think he is a little bit closer!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds like Good Times to me!

Glad to hear you survived!

Brooke Shreeve said...

Who's JJ??

Janice said...

JJ is a friend/colleague (he is my work boyfriend). He lives across the ocean!