Saturday, September 20, 2008

WTF?!?! Are you kidding me?

Alright, I realize that we have been in a dry spell and I haven't been posting...but then you know what that means? LOTS of ketchup (haha).

1) Turns out, even when you have a draft and make changes to it 3 weeks later (even prior to posting), it posts in the order of starting...therefore you may have to jump ahead a few reads to get the first football post. :)

2) As a zoo enthusiast/lover/obsesser whatever you want to call it, we (Carli had I) have been to the zoo a couple of times in the last week. Last Saturday was my work party, and for the first time ever they have had it at the zoo. We experienced endless train rides, carousel rides and even periodic tears due to baby Jbari (sp?) leaving soon. He is the baby giraffe and he is old enough to be experiencing his new adventure in Detroit. He will be leaving soon. My mistake: To tell Carli how lucky we are to see him before he leaves. This resulted in tears, loud tears, the kind that come with sobs and running to the next closest motherly person who pretended to give a rats ass about her (Enter Denise - a co-worker). f

3) A fabulous trip to the zoo on Sunday with my sister and her son. Less drama and it was fun. I'll post pics later (which means as soon as I get them off of the camera...in the meantime look at Brooke's blog -see links to the right).

4) As we were driving home from a baby shower today (great job Katie on the shower, great job Michelle for having a baby...preciate you both) we pass a church. Yep, the standard Utah kind. Carli mentions that if 'they' (Katie's family) went to church that is probably the church they go to. Bear with me everyone...especially Katie. So I explain that I think they do go to church on occasion, and am pretty sure that is NOT the one. After several minutes of discussion about church and how (at this point, I'm thinking this should be it's own blog topic...but WHY?!?!?!) even when I was young, I went to church and I stopped going to church because I didn't necessarily believe it was a good idea to keep going to church 'cause everyone else did it', when I didn't necessarily believe in what they were talking about and how they...well talked about it (there was clearly not enough F words...even at that young age I could appreciate the value of a good ol' FUCK! - don't tell!). I explain to her that a lot of people believe in a lot of different things, and that doesn't make anyone else's thoughts wrong...but that I shouldn't pretend to believe that 'just because'. Then there was God, and Heavenly Father..in my car at the same time. When I told her that I thought some people think those are the same thing she changed the subject to...brothers and sisters. Oddly enough, not the kind of brothers and sisters that I would have felt RARELY relieved by. But the kind that...everyone in the world, even if you know them or not are your brother or sister. "perfect example", I say..of what some people believe and don't. Although DNA is a little much to explain to a 6 year old, I do tell her that I don't believe we are ALL brothers and sisters. To which she started screaming "IT'S TRUE IT'S TRUE!". To which I come to the realization that she is.....probably a republican. FUCK! How did I go wrong? It is clearly one of the few DNA strings she gets from her father (you know, along with the sassy ass response when you turn around cause they know well enough who the boss is they don't be sassy when you are lookin' at 'em!).

5)Tonight as we are watching Pirates of the Caribbean on USA (I know, I know...I don't usually let her watch these shows, but somehow Pirates is the exception). Carli cuddles up to Goo Man (he's our old guy...with kidney failure...who gets treatments 3 x's a week= IV Drips for about 15 minutes each to keep him happy,healthy and alive). She starts crying...she will miss him when he dies. And she thinks we should bury him in the backyard...in the garden...so when we miss him, we can dig him up and pet him. Take a breath... YOU!!! That's right, take a breath. We have talked about death before (she knows about the elephant - the most recent). She knows that Uncle Boyd and several of my grandparents are in heaven (mostly because it is easier to explain that to a kid than just plain- gone!). But apparently we hadn't talked about the fact that you don't just dig 'em up again for good times. I explained he would just be a skeleton (good time of year coming up for that!). Anyway, the kind of honesty that I have with my kid goes a little deeper than what a lot of people like to hear about. So I won't go into much more detail about that. Needless to say, she is fine.

Now, if I could just convince her daddy and his cousin that having a vagina, being attached to a hunter and liking the outdoors is not 'in common' enough for me to vote for Palin then we will be good to go...oh and that she is HOT - that doesn't phase me either (not enough margaritas apparently)!!!!

5 comments:

Katie said...

You can go to "Post Options" at the bottom of "create post" and change the date and time of when your post, well, posts.

Yeah, that religion talk is not an easy one. Last year I tried to explain to Seth that Christmas is to celebrate baby Jesus's birth and he said, "Who's Jesus?" How do you explain Jesus to a 4-year old? Not easy. And we've had the death talk to. No one explains THIS part of parenthood to you.

Good for you for not voting for Palin JUST because she's got a gun-toting, outdoorsy, hot vagina. (I think that's some sort of STD.)

Did I just write that????

Annalyn said...

Katie! I'm shocked and appauled that you wrote that! Oh...wait....no I'm not :-)

Although Jesus wouldn't be easy to explain, I'd really hate to discuss the whole "god" thing. My explanation would probably traumatize a kid....which is probably why I am not having any. ha!

Theresa said...

Oh how I can't wait to have that discussion when I have kids.

Janice - can you just do it for me? I'll drop my kids off at your house for the day and you can just tell them everything they need to know.

Oh yeah, and Jeff says that he is going to vote for me for VP because I am a "fishing pole toting, outdoorsy, hot vagina!" (That one is for you Katie!)

Regina said...

My boys ask why we don't go to church on sunday with the rest of the hood. I say cause we don't believe what they believe. Inevitably one of them says yes we do! We want to go to church! Ugh!

And the death thing. Eli carries on at bedtime how he doesn't want to die and wants to know when he will. It's a crazy ass conversation to have. He asks why we have to die and I tell him cause nobody has figured out how to get out of it yet.

I asked Robby if we should talk about these things so frankly and he said we should talk about anything and everything with them.

The latest chat was about not hassling the short, short cashier man at Costco about being so short...and asking if the bagger girl is his mom. Geesh, I have NO IDEA where they get this from.

nelson said...

way cute kid, the DAD must rock but not the mom necessarily as she seems like somebody who would only credit mothers with the rearing of children.