Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cookies!!

Alright, I did it. I made cookies tonight. I wanted cinnamon rolls earlier today, but we had no yeast, and the recipe I have asks for powdered milk, which I don't have (and frankly...don't know how to substitute dry milk for regular out of the box soy)..so, cookies it was.

I used a recipe from a website that I LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE. You can sign up on the website if you want, it gives you access to review recipes on the site as well as add your own. If you don't want to sign up, you can still look....look...look.

I have to say, the cookie dough was sooo easy to work with, it surprised me. Maybe because I have made so many pie crusts since I was diagnosed, but haven't really tried cookies like this. And pie crusts...well, they are a pain in my ass. I would never even let Carli help me with pie, but these cookies, she could practically do on her own. I usually substitute butter and shortening with applesauce, but figured since I hadn't tried this recipe I should follow it. Then....I was running short on shortening, so I topped off the measuring cup with applesauce anyway.



Anyhow, I know a sugar cookie looks like a sugar cookie. This is what ours looked like. Not bad, eh? I know you all are just dying to know how they taste....Call me later.


No, really. The cookies were good. I don't know if they could compete with Marilee's cookies (I hear they kick ass), but I like them. Just like other foods made with 'momma's flour', they are a little grainy. The frosting recipe came from the same website, I've never been a fan of butter cream frosting...and I'm still not, but it is frosting and Carli can make it pink. There is only so much you can do.

I was going to add a picture of the ones she put sprinkles on, but it won't let me grrr. I'll add them later. And since I asked her if she wanted to take the picture, she took a picture of herself as well. I'll post that one too. Here you go. Haha.


And the major points are that Queen Carli enjoys them (and has been cut off for this evening) and I think they are ok (sugar cookies never have been my favorite, but it was fun to try). If only Martin Luther King Jr. didn't have a dream, the traffic people could try them tomorrow. Sorry bout your luck. See you all on Tuesday.

And since I mentioned the man of tomorrow, I want to let you know how Carli explained Martin Luther King, Jr. when I asked her who he was. "He was a brown man who made good choices, but other people didn't like his choices so they killed him dead. And that was a bad choice. " I love the simplicity...cause there you have it, from the mouth of a 6 year old.

6 comments:

Anjie said...

Those look good! I LOVE eating sugar cookies, not making them, but I'll try this recipe since you say it was easy to work with.

Katie said...

I'm not a big fan of sugar cookies either (not enough chocolate!) but they are fun to make and let the kids decorate.

As for MLK, Carli couldn't have said it better.

Janice said...

Anjie, just so you know...it's not usually recommended that you just replace wheat flour with no wheat flour, it is sort of hit and miss (Flavor and texture is sooo different). I'm not sure about the substitute backwards. Let me know what happens.

Sun Tea for Sinners said...

Carli was right, that was a bad choice, but pink frosting is a good choice. Well done Carli and mama!

Theresa said...

I will admit the cookie was pretty good today. The only thing that tasted a little off was the frosting and it was more of a texture thing. Good job Jan! You can bring these any time.

Annalyn said...

I suppose you're building up a list of "great", "good", "not so good", "what the hell were they thinking" recipes. Sounds like this one is a "great" one!