

This 'cheese' costs me $3.79, I use about 4 slices of cheese on each sandwich (2 cheddar and 2 mont. jack). This cheese comes in Monterey Jack, Cheddar and Mozzerella. It is the closest I can get to real tasting cheese..and no, it doesn't taste like real cheese. I was able to find some Buffalo Mozz, at a local market for a short time, but when they raised the price to $9.99 for 7.5 oz...I just couldn't do it.

Then I cook it...well, just like you do. Carli got to have a Grilled Cheese sandwich too (I can honestly say this is the second one I've made in the 2+ years since I've been diagnosed), of course in her own pan, flipped with her own spatula. So here is Carli's plate next to mine, I also will have some home made fries (it's the best way to make sure I don't get contaminated), but I didn't want them to hide my sammy. The fries are a cinch. If we are in a hurry we drop the taters in the Fry Daddy. If we have more time, I prefer to cook them in the toaster oven with some seasoning and olive oil (it really does just taste better). And you can't beat Some Dude's Fry Sauce - labeled gluten free!

I don't actually miss the 'other' kind of food very much, but when I do...I REALLY DO. And, I miss the fact that I can't stretch my cheese.
6 comments:
That looks almost yummy! Just wondering, what are some of the signs that you have glutin issues? I think I gots me some belly problems.
Great post! I always feel bad when you talk about your dietary restrictions because I can't even fathom having to give up any of those things. But I'm really glad that you're able to find some (expensive!) alternatives, even if they don't stretch.
Kim, look at this...
http://www.celiac.org/cd-symptoms.php
Ask your doctor for a referral to a Gastroenterologist (or something like that). Ask him to give you knock em out med, stick a camera and tube down your throat and take a sample...that'll show the best thing. But if you are going to get tested, don't cut the gluten out beforehand.
I like the post...the sandwich looks good despite the lack of stretchiness.
I'm gonna try to keep adding alternative ingredients to my recipes so you don't have to do ALL the work of adapting them. I'm apologizing in advance if I space it.
I didnt realize you had a blog...I will read it more often!
I am curious how long it took you to figure out that you had a "gluten" problem?
I love how your cheese mentions that "It Melts!"
Hey Barbi, I started going to the Dr. in April, was diagnosed in November 2006. Before going to the Dr. I had been having symptoms (that I remember specifically) since I was pregnant with Carli...She's about to turn 7.
Welcome aboard, feel free to protect your eyes while reading...Since the movie guys to have to rate my blog...everyone has access. :) p.s. I LOOOOOVVVVEEEE the 4 letter words.
Post a Comment