Friday, June 20, 2008

This experience was not on schedule!

So Carli started back at the Rec Center two weeks ago. She was begging to go back for the summer and missed her friends. Cobby and I figured it was a little less expensive ($30/week since I don't have to pay for days she doesn't go) and even though it is a little further out of the way, she wants to go back. So she is back. She would wake Cobby up in the morning by jumping on the bed telling him it was time to take her to day camp. It was really was funny cute. But then of course, in my cynical mind, I jokingly said I'm sure that will also mean another trip to the Instacare. If you read other posts (from way back), she used to be on this 6 month schedule (we could almost make an appt at the Instacare, if only the sticky little bastards would have let us). But I figured she left the Rec Center about 2 and a half or 3 months after her last accident (the teeth totally out one) so when staying on schedule that would mean we have about 3 months before she would have another accident. That would actually put her in the 1st grade, and the schedule would be null and void.

So I was driving to pick her up yesterday so she could go to swim lessons (she has become quite the diver lately...to my shock...no really she used to cry when the teacher told her it was time to dive). As I was driving my phone rang. I look and it is a number that is from the area where she is currently supposed to be. Immediately I think OH SHIT! So, I answer.

And I hear "Hi, this is Lilly from the Rec Center"
Me: Chuckle...yeah.
Her: Carli has a gash on her head and needs stitches
Me: Bust out laughing (I'm not kidding either). Well, alright, I'm already on my way so I'll be there in a minute.
Her: Alright, she is the bathroom and they are with her, but you sound like you already know.
Me: Yep, I'll be there soon (thinking: I didn't REALLY know....I just kind of KNEW IT!).

So I get there, she is sitting on one teachers lap and is holding a paper towel to her head with one hand and an ice cream (Creamie, I think) in the other. Her shirt has several HUGE blood spots on it (we all know heads bleed a lot so I wasn't surprised by this at all), and her shoe does too. I remove the towel and see this eency weency little hole no bigger than the end of my pinky. And I'm thinking to myself "stitches...are you kidding me? Do you know what this kid as put up with? she don't need stitches for that little ole thing". But, being the mom of the year that I am, I had already called Paula (my BESTEST BESTEST BFF) and asked her to call the 2 closest Instacares to ask how long the wait is. The one that is closer to her as a 20 minute wait, the other 30-45. Since I'm not even sold on the fact of stitches, I start heading her way. We stopped at her house just in time for it to start bleeding a little more and even though I was on the fence a little, she pushed me to the go ahead and take her side of the fence (like the grass is really greener? RIGHT!).

As we walk into the Instacare, I'm looking for the sign in sheet and the lady says "Does she need stitches?" I tell her I'm not really sure, and I'd like someone to let me know before we go through the whole rig-a-marole. So she had a nurse come out and take a look. She was prepared, she brought oooze, cotton ball and some medical tape. She takes a look and says "YEP". She told Carli she was going to put some of this stuff on her owy that will make her skin go to sleep. Carli had no problem with that. When the nurse walked away she said "Mom is this the kind of tape that hurts when you pull it out of my hair?". Nope, it is easy sticking tape. No worries. "Mom, will I go to sleep too?", nope just your skin so the doctor can take a look and it won't hurt. We were third in line for stitches and they only do one at a time so we they started a movie for Carli.


When they called Carli's name we started to walk back and she asked me "momma, will I bleed?" (Cause it doesn't hurt unless there is blood...crazy kid). The nurse heard her and said, not as much as is on your shirt! She jumps up on the bed (and the nurse was nervous about that - makes me laugh) and the nurse says..."and your teeth are gone too. You didn't knock those out did you?" and I say "not today". Carli wants a mirror so she can see the owy, the nurse suggests she see it when it has stitches, but she wants to see it now. So I take a picture so she can see it. She is clearly very damaged by all the trauma. So the doctor stitches her up and says she needs to have them taken out in 5 days (such a relief, I thought stitches were like 10 days). I apparently was thinking out loud "Shit, tell me 5 days is Tuesday!" Because he said, "Yep, that's Tuesday". Thank GOD I said, cause we are leaving for vacation on Wednesday!
Anyway, she is such a brave girl they gave her a sticker (which she insisted she wasn't going to put on her "bloody old shirt, cause even a bloody sticker on a bloody shirt wouldn't be good") a sucker (Paula gave her one too...give her sugar...it will save her life and make the blood coagulate, I'm sure of it!) and a coupon for a free ice cream cone at the Arctic Circle across the street (which turns out is good, since she hasn't had dinner yet and it is now 730).
Anyhow since we were on their side of town, we had to stop and see Papa and Grandma. They are packing up to leave (this morning actually). We'll see them next week in the rolling green hills of West Virginia - It is almost Heaven, you know.
So lessons learned for the day:
1) Instacare schedule is null and void after leaving the rec center for any amount of time.
2) If the wound is diagonal it needs stitches, even if it is tiny (Horizontal wounds, you see, could hide in the lines of your furrowed brow, but diagonal...will leave big huge scars).
Questions still remaining:
1) Why the "F" is it such a big deal that Obama won't be taking the public funds. This, to me, is a good thing.
2) Why, really, do I miss sitting in my bed blogging on my laptop (other than convenience)? I guess I like upstairs therapy more than basement therapy. Weird.
To do's: Call the Rec Center, harass the head teacher lady (who was off yesterday) about how I can't even leave my kid there for two weeks with out one of her teachers knocking her over and sending her to the emergency room. That is a joke by the way. Carli informs me she was trying to get on a swing, and when the boy got off of it, it was still swinging and hit her in the head. She had fun all day up until then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you have witnesses this time "Mommie Dearest". I still have my suspicions.

Katie said...

First: I have to admit I busted out laughing when you wrote that the rec center lady said she needed stitches. Not because it's funny, but because of the same reasons you laughed.

Second: Ow! I would've assumed that wound would need stitches (good to know about the whole diagonal thing though).

Third: A Creamie does, in fact, make everything better.

Regina said...

I've been wondering why it's a bad thing Obama won't be taking public funds too. I don't get it.