Well, there you have it. Next week, it will be a war of Davids (oh, the marketing possibilities here). That's right, Sayesha was voted off American Idol tonight. Alright, I'll confess. We are Idol watchers. Well, as long as it doesn't overlap Dancing with the Stars. They do have sparkly, barely there dresses that 'spin' after all. The bad thing about elimination night, is that it starts at bedtime for a certain little addict. Alas, 'The girl', as she is commonly called in this house, is done. Carli is always hoping for "the girl to win". Now the girl can sit back with the rest of us and watch the two Davids sing it out. The Davids seem to be the exact opposite. Little David Archuleta, young (still in high school...just about 2 minutes down the road from me I might add), soft spoken, seemingly innocent and "gosh" he's cute. Not even to mention he was sweetly emotional when he was back in SLC last week at the mall, overwhelmed by the turn out of screaming and crying girls as far as the eye could see. Compare him to David Cook, spikey blonde tipped hair, bartender, more mature (but still young enough to have a good time) and although he has never seemed to be rambunctious, he sure could belt out a tune. The way that man could change a song to make it his own was great. I'll have to admit, with the addict in bed, I was surfing so I didn't see David Cook's travel home, but I'm sure it was lovely.
The thing about Idol is this, the last few seasons have been very all inclusive. What do I mean by that? Well, if I remember right, the first year there were so many idols from the same season was the year that gasps were heard throughout the US when Chris Daughtry was voted off, in 4thish place? Of course, there were whispers that it was planned so he could be more famous blahbittyblah. Since then, although there was only one Idol 'crowned' a bunch of them ended up with contracts, new teeth, new clothes, new band mates. I thought the intention of this show was to give one person the chance of a lifetime. I know that things change, it was a chance of a lifetime for a lot of those kids just to be on TV, much less make it so far, and lots of those people deserved a lot of those things, but come on. In the last 2 years the viewership has plateued on Idol. Do you think it has anything to do with it doesn't even matter who wins, because once you get down to the last 6 or 7, if you really liked them, give it 3 months and you can buy their album too. I mean, it blows all the surprises when show after show it is the same. The people sing, Randy barks for a minute and says "Aight dawg, listen here" Paula mumbles something about "you are you and I love you (and whoever it was that slipped whatever it was into this coke labeled cup - if only they knew)" followed by Simon "quite frankly, I felt like I was at a bad karaoke bar with a bachelor party" and then of course Ryan "Simon, are those your nipples sticking out of your size 4T baby gap shirt?".
Nevertheless, I'm sure we will be watching again at the beginning of next season when all the hideous people who were lied to from the time they were children, by people who are supposed to love them go on the show - because they think they can sing. I think it is one of those train wreck situations. You don't want to look, but you just can't beleive it to be true so you have to look. But in the mean time, when the sleeping angel wakes in the morning (if I remember) I will have to tell her that 'the girl' is gone - but don't lose hope add some extensions and eye liner to little David and blammo, a girl is back on the show. Now, wouldn't that be a surprising season ender?
3 comments:
Everyone cried, Janice. I have my suspicions some were faked. Even Paula and her crazy don't entertain me anymore. However, I love Simon's nipples! Grrrrrr!
This is the first year I've watched AI and mostly because of the angelic face of cute little David from Murray. Woot-woot!
As much as I would love to squeeze the cheeks of this cutie, I think that he's too shy and quiet to be an "Idol". Still.....I hope he wins 'cause it feels like I'm rooting for the home team.
GO DAVID....uh....ARCHULETTA!
I thought it was so sweet the way David A. reacted to all the people at the Gateway mall. And the fact that he looked like he was about to throw up the moment Ryan announced he was going to be in the finals. Too cute!
I like both Davids and I have to admit I think David C. is probably more mainstream/marketable, but I can't help but root for our own David A. I'd sure like to see a hometown boy win it. Either way, I think it's going to be fun to watch. And I think either David will be a good choice for AI.
But I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and my redial going) for David Archuleta! Yeah, I'm going to be voting for SURE. It is the finals, ya know.
Post a Comment